Recommended for Grades 7-12
This summer, discover why people love Shakespeare. Our weekly Zoom reading club will focus on Shakespeare's plays from the actor's perspective. Ask questions, start conversations and deepen your understanding in this interactive club!
Shakespeare is for EVERYONE. Join Kennedy and embark on a journey through the Bard's work focusing on comprehension, intention and fun.
Weekly class held using ZOOM.
Shakespeare Club is geared towards teenagers and very mature pre-teens. All students will need to be confident readers and be curious about the complexities of Shakespeare's work and subject matter. If you are younger than 12 and you think you might be a good fit, please contact Kennedy to discuss!
WHY JOIN SHAKESPEARE CLUB?
- Impress your English teachers when you are the expert.
- Shakespeare's plays were written for actors. Develop a deeper understanding and unlock the fun of these classic stories from the actor's perspective.
- Familiarize yourself with iambic pentameter and grow your understanding of the English language (did you know that the phrase "wild goose chase" comes from Romeo and Juliet?).
- Get prepared for post-secondary theatre training.
- The language barrier of Shakespeare helps to develop your skills of script comprehension.
- Start building your repertoire of classical monologues to prepare for auditions
- Become the best fit for any acting program or post secondary school
MUSIC THEATRE HOST: SOPHIE MCLEOD
Sophie Lea McLeod is a proud graduate of Sheridan College with a Bachelor of Musical Theatre Performance. Her performing credits include Mamma Mia (Rainbow Stage), My Fair Lady (Capitol Theatre), How to Succeed..., Footloose, Shrek and Damn Yankees (Theatre Sheridan). Sophie has choreographed, directed, produced, taught and had her hands in every Innovative production and loves her Innovative Arts Family! Sophie balances managing Innovative Arts, performing, teaching and training all while being a mommy to her beautiful boys Wyatt and Beau! Sophie is honoured to work with such inspiring young people everyday and is so excited to continue inspiring everyone to be their best selves this year!
SHAKESPEARE HOST: KENNEDY THOMPSON
Kennedy Thompson holds a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Guelph's Theatre Studies Honours program where she sat as President of the Drama Student Federation in her fourth year. She has trained at the Stratford Shakespeare Festival's Intensive Summer program through the University of Guelph and has performed in the Bard's work since 2009. Selected performing credits include Marat/Sade, Goodnight Desdemona (Good Morning Juliet), The Man of Mode (University of Guelph), Romeo and Juliet, As You Like It (Lost & Found Theatre), A Midsummer Night's Dream and Othello (KW Youth Theatre). With a passion for all things theatre, Kennedy has trained as an actor, writer, dramaturge and props master and loves to be involved in theatre on and off stage. Heading into her third year with Innovative, she absolutely cannot wait to work with students to develop their own love and appreciation for Shakespeare's work.